Sunday, July 1, 2012

#38: [Auto Pilot] & [Auto Pilot II]

So, as usual, it's been awhile since I blogged on here.  I am in the process of working on about five large pieces and have finished one since I last posted.  It's called [Auto Pilot] and it is another experiment with negative/positive space; it is inverse from my [Guitar Duel] pieces.

[Auto Pilot]

In the [Guitar Duel] series, I used black for the foreground, but I decided to take a different approach with this one.  Initially, the idea was use stars as the stencil and do a recreation of the American flag.  That idea died, however, when I realized that I was unable to paint with only three colors, one of which being white (yuck).  Can anyone guess where the title comes from?  (hint: it's always music..)

Tonight I started a second piece in this new series - I hope you enjoy it!

[Auto Pilot II]
(work in progress)

As in the first piece, I made "stripes" with blue (why did I have to buy the cheapo Big Lots brand?  *sigh*) and masking tape.  Originally, this was to simulate the stripes on the flag; now it's just neato.


I'm used Liquitex Basics for the undercoat and then added Golden paints on top for that bright, expensive look that everyone who paints with acrylic and oil crave.

*Disclaimer:  I own no rights to Big Lots (it's an outlet store, if you didn't know) or Queens of the Stone Age.


No comments:

Post a Comment