Tuesday, April 1, 2014

#45: Framing Hendrix (part 1)

[Hendrix at the Monterey Pops Festival]
I completed this piece of Mr. Hendrix in late January for the "Black History Month" show at the Off Center Art Center.  After looking at it for a month, I really felt that something was missing; the piece seemed too free, too expansive.  After discussing changes with fellow artist, Jeff Filipski, and my ever-supporting girlfriend, I've decided to frame it to enclose some of the "freedom" and add some balance.  Then, in my search for balance, I decided to make some serious alterations, check it out..

Layout that Sam and I liked best after deliberating for about 45 minutes.


Here is the layout for the frame I've decided to built.  Unfortunately, I left both Sam's (the person taking these pictures) and my staple gun at my house and we're using her garage.  :/  At least I've got the layout.

"Come on baby, light my fire!"
In my quest to bring this piece to the next level, I decide to try a little deconstruction.  To add to the symbolism of the burning guitar featured in the image, I begin the burn the lower-left corner and up the left side.

I never really liked Stratocasters anyway.
Kyle Heinly would be so proud!

Above is the "finished" piece with the final alterations.  I also re-coated all the spots that I burned with acrylic glazing gel.  I'll put the frame together tomorrow.  :]

No comments:

Post a Comment